Re: Check on column when record is updated

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 10:54:00 +0300

Your logic is a bit flawed here. First of all, :OLD represents the current contents of the row being updated and it can't be altered, so
> The above works fine except that if the same employee did the data-entry
> for both the old and new records, we have a problem. It's gonna give out
> an error for a genuine update.

is not an issue as this is impossible. Secondly, you do not need to force the *application* to update this column - you can always do it in the trigger itself - just assign SYSDATE to this column, disregarding any input from the application and you will always have correct row modification time regardless if application provided it or not.

"You should better learn your kanji before you may kumite."