Advice For Efficient Update

From: daecc <daecc96_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 20 Jan 2003 17:35:53 -0800

I have a table with 3 million records. The field "group" starts out null and I need to update it based on the combination of 7 other large text fields (I used 3 small fields for illustration purposes).

rec_num field1 field2 field3 group

1       AA      JJ      XX     1
2       AA      JJ      XX     1
3       BB      JJ      XX     2
4       CC      JJ      XX     3
5       AA      JJ      XX     1
6       CC      KK      ZZ     4
7       CC      KK      ZZ     4

The data is already loaded in the table and I must do an update. What would be the most time efficient way to accomplish this?

Thanks! Received on Mon Jan 20 2003 - 19:35:53 CST