Re: Japanese characters support in Oracle Intermedia

From: Richard <qaz1521_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 23:40:24 -0000

When creating the database, you will be asked to specify two character sets. If I remember correctly, the first one is called the database character set and the second is called the national character set.

The database set defines the types of characters stored in CHAR, VARCHAR, CLOB datatypes. Usually, this can be set to an appropriate 8 bit character set, depending on what type of host your server runs on.

The second character set defines the type of characters held in special data types NCHAR, NVARCHAR, NCLOB and so on. Set this to one of the multilingual character sets like UTF8 to store Japanese.

I think it's possible to choose country specific character sets (e.g. Japanese only) which might be more efficient for your application but I think I remember reading somewhere that Oracle is phasing out support for this and that only the multilingual character sets will be supported in future.

One point to bear in mind is that the indexing facilities offered by InterMedia do not support the NCLOB data type. If you want to use InterMedia to index large blocks of text, you might need to set the database character set to multilingual and use CLOB fields.

Full details are in the Oracle Database Globalization Support Guide.