Re: Oracle 9i AS Install on Linux Problem

From: Roger Atkinson <roger.atkinson_at_cubic.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:48:28 -0800

----snip-------

------snip---------

> Roger> Cheers, Roger A.
>
> Checking on my Debian system with 8.1.7 installed I get
>
> /ora01/oracle/products/8170/lib/libclntsh.so.8.0
>
> so I would say the library you are missing is the client shared
> library which should be included with the Oracle stuff. I've not
> installed 9IAS, so I don't know if this is normally included with it
> or if it only comes with the database client install.
>
> With respect to running an smp kernel - I would certainly run this
> kernel if you have a dual processor system - though from what I've
> seen mentioned on this group, you can't run Oracle as a parallel
> server with less than 3 processors.
>
> I'm amazed your bean counters are prepared to invest in a reasonably
> expensive box, but not prepared to fork out the very few dollars
> necessary for SUSe or RH enterprise server edition!
>
> Tim
> --
> Tim Cross
> The e-mail address on this message is FALSE (obviously!). My real e-mail is
> to a company in Australia called rapttech and my login is tcross - if you
> really need to send mail, you should be able to work it out!

Thanks for the reply Tim. I have now whacked the test machine and tried both version 9.0.2 and 9.0.3 of the 9i AS for Linux and they both fail exactly the same way. So, after reading your post I decided to see if there was a Client install for Linux CD and there isn't. I'm assuming that the Linux Client should also be a part of the Server Install. BTW I also have 9i DataBase and might just try to install that to see if I can get a copy of the Client Shared Library file for the 9i AS Install just to see.

One last note, I got access to the metalink.oracle.com site using our company information that was emailed to me, and low and behold, the binutils patch I mentioned in my original post has been superceded and is no longer available. The updated patch is not on the metalink site as well. So, now I'm convinced that everything I need should be on the CD but I can't for the life of me understand why the Universal Installer isn't putting this one file in place nor can I find any instruction on where I should get it from. Everything else appears to be there.

In fact, the Web Admin Site running perfectly and accurately reports that the Web Cache is not running along with one other Service I can't remember at the moment. So the quest continues!

Cheers, Roger A.