Re: Difference Between Microsoft SQL and Oracle

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 16:17:14 -0600

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in news:3E287C42.3216D889_at_exesolutions.com:

> los wrote:
>

>> What is the difference, in a nutshell between these two RDBMS's . Are
>> they both for very large databases. Is Oracle more prevelant in the
>> Corporate environment?

> At the risk of some flame-war imbecility.
>
> SQL Server is limited to a 32bit O/S so by definition can not be
> scaled as large as Oracle.

In the interest of gathering more data for myself, how many shops are running 64-bit? Unless you really are making use of the larger address space, there is a performance hit going with 64-bit. It's slight but it has to be outweighed by the need for a larger memory model.

I figured that not many shops are running 64-bit and for that matter, that most shops are running 4p machines. That _used_ to be the conventional wisdom. Does it still hold?

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
http://www.hpdbe.com