Re: Enhancement SQL*Plus (prev.: Re: Fixing a little problem in the

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 13:54:16 -0800

Malcolm Dew-Jones wrote:

> DA Morgan (damorgan_at_exesolutions.com) wrote:
> : Christopher.Jones_at_oracle.comX wrote:
>
> : > "Peter van Rijn" <p.vanrijnREMOVE_at_THISzhew.nl> writes:
> : > > Thanks for your comments. It certainly is an enhancement, but
> : > > what I really meant was an enhancement of the prompt itself. If
> : > > the prompt is set to use a variable it should be reset every
> : > > time a connect command has been used. If I understand you well
> : > > this has not (yet?) been realized.
> : >
> : > We're listening and Alison didn't give away all the good news,
> : > but I don't want to comment on futures in detail.
> : >
> : > Note the web based iSQL*Plus 9.2 already displays the current
> : > username and connect identifier in the status line.
> : >
> : > A comment on SQL*Plus changes: It is always hard to bring in
> : > features when someone, somewhere will complain their application
> : > is broken by the change. In SQL*Plus 9.0 we introduced the SET
> : > SQLPLUSCOMPATIBILITY option to cater for the RDBMS redefinition
> : > of NCHAR and to give us a little leeway to make future changes.
> : >
> : > In general, SQL scripts will be more portable if they explicitly
> : > set SQLPLUSCOMPATIBILITY. The next version of SQL*Plus will have
> : > an equivalent "-C" command-line option to make it easier to use
> : > (OK, I just did mention more futures!)
> : >
> : > Chris
> : >
> : > --
> : > Christopher Jones, Oracle Corporation, Australia.
>
> : I have a request from my students. The ability to change the font size
> : in SQL*Plus.
>
> : They say it is hard to read when projected in a lecture hall.
>
> : Daniel Morgan
>
> $0.02
>
> -1- change monitor resolution
>
> -2- (assuming windows) use the command line version of sqlplus, and then
> change the font size of the DOS box window, and/or make the dos box go
> full screen
>
> -3- connect to unix through a terminal emulator and use the emulator
> options to change the font size (same idea as #2).

University lecture halls ... especially one in Mary Gates Hall (built for by Bill and named after his mother) don't come with UNIX. C'est dommage.

Have changed monitor resolution but it isn't a perfect solution either.

I'm going to try the registry entry change and your suggestion #2.

But it wouldn't kill Oracle to just make font sizes changeable. Heck its not like I'm asking for color.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Jan 17 2003 - 15:54:16 CST