Re: Oracle 9i AS Install on Linux Problem

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: 18 Jan 2003 08:59:43 +1100

 Roger> Hi All, I've been asked to setup a 9i AS Server on Linux as an
 Roger> potential upgrade path from our 8i AS which is currently
 Roger> running on Win2K Server. The Installer loads fine and runs and
 Roger> the File Copy completes successfully.  However, I get a
 Roger> consistent Link failure trying to build sqlplus and according
 Roger> to the "make" log is due to the missing "lclntsh".

 Roger> Sure enough I tried running sqlplus from the command line and  Roger> I get this:

 Roger> [oracle_at_tomcat install]$ sqlplus sqlplus: error while loading
 Roger> shared libraries: libclntsh.so.9.0: cannot open shared object
 Roger> file: No such file or directory

 Roger> I've searched the entire system after all files were copied
 Roger> and this file does not exist on the system anywhere. Nor can I
 Roger> find it on any of the Install CD's! Obviously it is critical  Roger> to any client access to the Database.
 Roger> Now, I've done the foot work and made sure that the
 Roger> environment was set correctly (including LD_LIBRARY_PATH),
 Roger> I've tuned the Kernel, and done everything except one item as
 Roger> far as the "Software Requirements" are concerned. I haven't
 Roger> installed the bunutils patch that is called for, since I
 Roger> personally don't have access to the metalink.oracle.com Web
 Roger> site (our DBA is out on Travel and I won't be able to get our
 Roger> oracle CIS number from him until he returns).

 Roger> However, I am using Red Hat 7.3 and have verified that my
 Roger> binutils, glibc, Open Motif, and kernel are all at least the
 Roger> minimum version, so I couldn't imagine what the binutils patch
 Roger> is for (unless this is where the libclntsh.so file comes  Roger> from).

 Roger> Can any one confirm I'm on the right track in trying to get  Roger> this to install and work?

 Roger> Now, I know that 9i AS is only certified and supported on
 Roger> RedHat Advanced Server (and the SuSE Enterprise) and if we put
 Roger> this into production we will get a copy of the supported
 Roger> OS. However, I'm in "proof of concept" phase and they won't
 Roger> spend the money at the moment.  So, I was hoping I could get
 Roger> this up and running on a RedHat 7.3 server so the Oracle
 Roger> development team will agree with proceeding to set up the
 Roger> production environment.

 Roger> One last question, the machine I have is a Dual PIII/ 1.2Ghz
 Roger> machine with 1GB memory and two 18GB LVD SCSI disks. Does any
 Roger> know if either the 9i AS or even the 9i database will run
 Roger> correctly using an SMP kernel?.  I've gone back to the single
 Roger> processor kernel to see if that would help my current install,
 Roger> but that's when I found that the libclntsh.so file was
 Roger> missing. So, I'm not sure if the SMP Kernel made any  Roger> difference.
 Roger> Thanks for any help or a pointer where to look, I'm just
 Roger> beginning in this adventure and so far I really like what I
 Roger> see, and the Trouble Shooting has been a great learning
 Roger> experience.

 Roger> Cheers, Roger A.

Checking on my Debian system with 8.1.7 installed I get

/ora01/oracle/products/8170/lib/libclntsh.so.8.0

so I would say the library you are missing is the client shared library which should be included with the Oracle stuff. I've not installed 9IAS, so I don't know if this is normally included with it or if it only comes with the database client install.

With respect to running an smp kernel - I would certainly run this kernel if you have a dual processor system - though from what I've seen mentioned on this group, you can't run Oracle as a parallel server with less than 3 processors.

I'm amazed your bean counters are prepared to invest in a reasonably expensive box, but not prepared to fork out the very few dollars necessary for SUSe or RH enterprise server edition!

Tim

--
Tim Cross