Creating a Hash Cluster

From: Jordan Humber <jordan_humber_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:56:09 -0000

Hello all,

I am trying to create a Hash cluster using the following SQL in Oracle8i. All of the commands complete successfully, but I am not sure if it is setting up the cluster correctly (I'm very new to hash clusters!):

CREATE CLUSTER course_student (

    courseID NUMBER(4))
    SIZE 600
    HASH IS courseID HASHKEYS 2000;

CREATE TABLE course (

   courseID NUMBER(4) PRIMARY KEY, units NUMBER(2), courseDuration NUMBER(1) )
   CLUSTER course_student (courseID);

CREATE TABLE student (

   studentID NUMBER(5) PRIMARY KEY,
   age NUMBER(2) NOT NULL,
   phone NUMBER(6) NOT NULL,
   courseID NUMBER(4) REFERENCES course)    CLUSTER course_student (courseID);

In particular, I'm unsure of the SIZE and HASHKEYS paramaters on the CREATE CLUSTER statement.
I made a guess because there will be a maximum of 2000 courses in the course table.

Does this SQL look ok? Am I missing anything significant? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jordan. Received on Fri Jan 17 2003 - 04:56:09 CST