Re: Enhancement SQL*Plus (prev.: Re: Fixing a little problem in the login.sql script found in Tom Kyte's book)

From: Peter van Rijn <p.vanrijnREMOVE_at_THISzhew.nl>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:52:44 +0100

> We're listening and Alison didn't give away all the good news,
> but I don't want to comment on futures in detail.

Feels a bit like waiting for ones birthday presents ;-))

> Note the web based iSQL*Plus 9.2 already displays the current
> username and connect identifier in the status line.

I'm afraid I've been too conservative so far to fully test this product, so I didn't notice yet. Will try it soon though.

> A comment on SQL*Plus changes: It is always hard to bring in
> features when someone, somewhere will complain their application
> is broken by the change. In SQL*Plus 9.0 we introduced the SET

Yes, I'm aware of the fact that you'll have to advertise this sort of changes long before the actual release date. Just like you did with respect to the withdrawal of SVRMGR.

> In general, SQL scripts will be more portable if they explicitly
> set SQLPLUSCOMPATIBILITY. The next version of SQL*Plus will have

Good tip, although it would be much better still if people wouldn't be dependend on this sort of compatibility issues: just enhancing your scripts would be better than relying a compatibility parameters.

> an equivalent "-C" command-line option to make it easier to use
> (OK, I just did mention more futures!)

Ah, our first present! Thank you, but there is more? (I know, I shouldn't ask, my parents told me so, and I do tell my own children ;-) )

thanks for your comments Chris, much appreciated,

Peter Received on Fri Jan 17 2003 - 01:52:44 CST