Problems with Oracle, Apache, mod_ssl and firewalls - hang

From: Andrew Hardy <spam.from.news_at_AdvanticaTech.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:59:27 -0000

Hi,

We have an Apache server as supplied by Oracle (1.3.19), serving both static html and mod_plsql pages.

When the system is accessed via SSL and the Internet, it will tend to hang after a relatively short time - especially if two people access at the same time. This is seen at the browser as a page that simply fails to arrive, there is no standard 'Page could not be found' type message.

A network sniffer seems to show that there is some continuing network traffic, but the Apache error_log does not show activity.

If the system is accessed without SSL but still via the Internet then there appears to be no problems and the system runs a lot faster than SSL + Internet.

If the system is accessed with SSL but internally so avoiding the Internet then there also appears to be no problems and the system runs faster than SSL + Internet.

Our servers are running NT4 SP6.

Our firewall is Checkpoint NG running on Solaris (although we also swapped in a Nokia firewall running Checkpoint 4.1 which had the same results).

Any thoughts on what might be occurring, what we should be looking at next?

Andy Received on Thu Jan 16 2003 - 09:59:27 CST