Re: Oracle 9i DS: problems with connection

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 19:19:38 GMT

Nicholas Lessard wrote:
> Hi
> I installed Oracle9i Release 2 (9.2.0.1) on my PC and then I installed
> Oracle9iDS Release 2 v9.0.2 on the same PC. During Ds installation, I
> noticed that i can't install this package in the same Oracle Home as where
> the database is so I created a new Oracle home for Devlopper Suite.
>
> Nico
>
> P.S. Sorry if my english is not good, this isn't my native language...
This is a common problem when you have multiple Oracle Homes. Each home has it's own set of network config files (tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora - plus maybe some others) in ...\network\admin.

You have two choices:

  1. Make a common tnsnames.ora file and copy it to all %oracle_home%\network\admin folders.
  2. Create an environment variable, TNS_ADMIN, and point it to the correct network\admin directory. Even if you do this, you have to have a tnsnames.ora in the TNS_ADMIN directory that has all the common features from every other home's files.

Only in Windows. :) Received on Tue Jan 14 2003 - 13:19:38 CST