Re: Oracle backup restore question

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:11:55 -0000

"MercilessMing" <rickl_2k1delete_at_hotmaildelete.com> wrote in message news:f7nU9.69823$kY3.2833755_at_twister.southeast.rr.com...
> Windows nt 4 and windows 2000. Same oracle versions but different drive
> letters. Experience is setting up a database, setting up users thats it.

This might take several attempts! You should also note that most of this is from memory since it is a long while since I cloned a database.

What you need to do is as follows.
Create the service using oradim eg at a command prompt oradim -new -sid <sidname> -intpwd <sysdba password> -startmode auto Create the init.ora file. Specify the locations for your controlfiles. Copy the files you have backed up to their new locations. at the command line issue
set oracle_sid=<sidname>
sqlplus /nolog
connect sys/<sysdba password> as sysdba
startup mount
alter database backup controlfile to trace; shutdown;

You will now have a trace file in your user_dump_dest that is human readable and can be edited to recreate the appropriate controlfiles for your new database (I.E you will need to edit it to point to the correct directories). Edit this script appropriately and save it as create_controlfile.sql You will be running this to create new control files with the correct data locations.
now at the command line

set oracle_sid=<sidname>
connect sys/<sysdba password> as sysdba
startup nomount
@create_controlfile
shutdown;
startup;

Note any errors.

Come back to us or the docs that daniel pointed you at with any further questions.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA