Re: OCI V8 - Get Number of Placeholders

From: Jose Verissimo <jose.verissimo_at_tie.co.pt>
Date: 14 Jan 2003 01:45:22 -0800

Martin Doherty <martin.doherty_at_nospam.com> wrote in message news:<ecKU9.19$G87.63_at_news.oracle.com>...
> Applying a bit of lateral thinking .... could you just loop through the
> string containing your SQL statement and count the colons?
>
> I'm reminded of the parable of the group of Greek philosophers who were
> trying to deduce, by logical argument, how many teeth a horse had, when
> a passing Arab (overhearing their heated debate) slipped into a nearby
> barn and returned moments later to announce the correct answer, having
> gone and counted them.
>
> Martin Doherty

You're right Martin, but I'm still looking for the "teeth" description! ;)

I'm looking for some OCI method/attribute that describes a placeholder just like the ODBC's "SQLDescribeParam" does...

My application receives an "arbitrary" sql statement and it has to analyse it. If that sql statement has placeholders, it has to bind them with default values according to the datatype (those values can be changed later by using set methods that my application'll provide). So, before bind those placeholders, I would need to get, at least, their datatypes and the maximum sizes.

Is this possible in OCI?!

Jose Verissimo Received on Tue Jan 14 2003 - 03:45:22 CST