Re: case-insensitive sort

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: 14 Jan 2003 17:50:02 +1100

 Gignesh> if it's something you're doing regularly rather than a one
 Gignesh> off - perhaps it's worth populating an extra column [via a
 Gignesh> trigger] ALL in the same case so that you don't have to
 Gignesh> convert...?

and forget about normalization?

If its something which happens often, why not put a trigger on the table so that all data is set to the required case and then just use upper()/lower()/initcaps() when selecting the column if needed? That way you can preserve normalization and reduce storage and performance overheads.

Tim

--
Tim Cross