Deleting or Trimming White Spaces

From: DominiqS <dominiqs_at_o2.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:01:23 -0000

All,
Quick question how do i delete a double blank space from a table called company and the field or row where the blank spaces need to be deleted is name ie company name .
There is an extra blank space in between the company names eg  My Own Company (one with double space)  My Own Company (one with single space) normal.

I have run a sql to identify the 166 rows that have this problem now i need a quick way of resolving this problem ie deleteing the extra space from these rows.

I have tried the ltrim function as below

I tried to figure an easy or quick way of resolving this problem using the the ltrim functions to get rid of the leading spaces but still no joy, . I created a copy of the table using the command create test_company as select name from company where name like '% %' ;

then i tried

update test_company
set name = ltrim(name, ' ' ) ;

but still no joy.The spaces still exist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks We are running Oracle 817 on Solaris 8.

I have about 166 rows affected by this double space problem,Is there a fast way of doing it or even a script to take care of this Received on Fri Jan 10 2003 - 08:01:23 CST