Re: TNS Listner could not resolve Service_Name

From: dmz17 <dmz17_at_nospam.nowhere.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 19:24:22 +0100

On Wed, 08 Jan 2003 23:32:36 +0100, Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Jan 2003 21:38:58 +0100, "dmz17" <dmz17_at_nospam.nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 07 Jan 2003 15:39:59 +0100, di_marcell wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> i 'am a newbee for oracle,
>>> I have one problem after creating the database (8i): i want to connect using
>>> the database manager to create a table space, but when i want to connect i
>>> get the error message: TNS Listner could not resolve Service_Name giving in
>>> connect discruptor.
>>>
>>> What am i doing wrong here?
>>>
>>> Thanks for helping me.
>>> greetings di_marcello_at_hotmail.com
>>
>>Oh well, sql.net and tnsnames.ora and listener.ora ought to have been the
>>cause of Oracle's downfall long ago. Alas, they are still around, still
>>causing users, programmers alike despair.
>>
>></soapbox_and_pet_peeve>
>>
>>dmz17

> Your rant only pertains to the category of users and programmers who
> never read manuals.
>

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Normally, I wouldn't reply to this post, but I do, in fact, take great pleasure from reading manuals.

Having worked 5 years for Oracle Corp. I have noticed in my own case, in countless colleagues' and customers' cases that screwing with the configuration files are among the most frequently occurring causes of grief.

The frequent occurrances alone should have prompted Oracle to harden the infrastructure and the installation/configuration tools that mess with them.

Obviously, some means of communication channel must exist, but I am certain that, even in the past, Oracle could have come up with something a trifle more elegant than tnsnames.ora.

Why the heck have they not recently made an xml version an option?

Cheers,

dmz17 Received on Thu Jan 09 2003 - 12:24:22 CST