Re: Oracle on Win2K vs. HP/UX

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 15:47:33 GMT

Similar story. A local large hospital system had a lot of HP Unix machines. They moved their data center from one location to another. In the process they had to shut down all the machines, box them up and move them to the new location. When they bought them back up they had some problems. The machines had been running for years without being taken down and over those years they had started a variety of processes from the consoles. Unfortunately, no one documented their process and did not put it in the equivalent Unix startup script. Some of the people that did this had moved on to other companies - remember I said these things had been running for years without a crash, or failure. So they had to figure out how to start these processes.

That would never happen on Windoze. I administer stuff on both and we have procedures in place to reboot the Windoze servers weekly so they don't crash or go down unexpectedly during the week. If we don't then they do it for us unexpectedly in the midst of the business day or the application that is running on them starts to have odd behavior.

Jim

--
Replace part of the email address: kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com
with family.  Remove the negative part, keep the minus sign.  You can figure