rights on data dictionary views

From: Markus Boehmer <markus.boehmer_at_schaefer-shop.de>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 16:44:44 +0100

Hi guys and gals,

I have a little problem.

I have two users, FOO and BAR.
User FOO has a table named zugriffe.

User BAR has only the right to connect to the databse and the right to select from user FOO's user_tab_columns.

Here is what I have done:
connect FOO/***
create table zugriffe (

    leckmich date
);
grant select on user_tab_columns to BAR;

connect BAR/***
select * from FOO.user_tab_columns;
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

Now I thought I could try to fool oracle and make a view, table zugriffe still exists:
connect FOO/***
CREATE VIEW TABELLENNAMEN AS
(SELECT DISTINCT TABLE_NAME FROM USER_TAB_COLUMNS); grant select on tabellennamen to BAR;

connect BAR/***
select * from FOO.tabellennamen;

no rows selected

connect FOO/***
select * from FOO.tabellennamen;
TABLE_NAME

TABELLENNAMEN
ZUGRIFFE Why doesn't get the user BAR the data?

I hope someone has a ssuggestion.
I have to find out how to make a user with nearly no rights to get information about the table names and structures of some other users.

Greetings
Markus Received on Wed Jan 08 2003 - 09:44:44 CST