Re: Want to Populate a list item

From: Martin Doherty <martin.doherty_at_nospam.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 11:27:00 -0800

Jimbo, I need some clarifications before trying to help you:

  1. You make ambiguous use of the word 'form'. A form is an fmb file, and contains one or more blocks. I think when you say "master and detail forms", you mean "master and detail blocks"? It is dead easy to link blocks in one form, a lot trickier to link blocks in two separate forms! I'm guessing you are just working on the one form?
  2. I'm not sure what is in each of your blocks. Are the following assumptions correct? - PURORDEREMP is master block based on Order Header table, contains EMPNO_LIST (control item with property Database Item = False) along with relevant columns of Order Header table (Database Item = True). - PURORDER is detail block based on Order Details table, related to PURORDEREMP block via PURORDERNO item.
  3. How many employees could potentially appear in the poplist? How do you want the poplist entries to appear? e.g. "Doherty, Martin - 35998" or "35998 - Doherty, Martin" or "Doherty, Martin" or "35998"? I expect that in any case, 35998 will be the actual item value to be used in querying the Order Header table. If the number of employess is large, maybe a poplist isn't the best choice of UI element.

Thanks
Martin