Re: Does Oracle affect computer start up sequence?

From: FC <flavio_at_tin.it>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 10:47:44 GMT

... and depending on the amount of various caches that you "configured" at installation time, you may find out that your PC is constantly swapping memory from the pagefile, reducing overall speed. Check how much memory is allocated using the task manager, if it exceeds by far the 256Mb limit, you may want to review the initialisation parameters of the DB and lower certain settings.
For a description of each parameter refer to the list of books available at http://tahiti.oracle.com/ and look for a book identified by the "REF" abbreviation.

Anyway, I suggest also to set the start property of each Oracle service to "manual", in this way you can start up the DB only when is really needed. Let's say for simplicity that each service that you currently find with the magic prefix "Oracle" in a "started" condition, can be set to "manual". When you need to work with the DB, just start up those services. I recommend you to read the Administrator's Guide for Windows, where you can find all about these tasks.

Bye,
Flavio