Re: HELP: exp/imp migration from oracle 8i to oracle 9i

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 21:01:35 GMT

John Merkel III wrote:
> i'm attempting to move my oracle 8i personal edition DB which is on win2k to
> an oracle 9i personal edition DB which i am running on win2k (i'm swapping
> out hard drives on the same computer).
>
> here is what i did:
>
> 1. installed win2k on the new HD
>
> 2. installed oracle 9i on the new HD
>
> 3. booted up the old HD and ran
>
> exp system/manager file=nnexpdat30dec02.dmp full=y
>
> 4. moved the nnexpdat30dec02.dmp file to the new HD
>
> 5. booted up the new HD and ran
>
> imp system/manager file=nnexpdat30dec02.dmp full=y
>
> when i did this i get the following errors:
>
> IMP-00058: ORACLE error 12560 encountered
>
> ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
>
> IMP-00000: Import terminated unsuccessfully
>
> could this have something to do with my computer name changing when i
> installed win2k on the new HD? or am i trying to make this a much simpler
> process than it really is? what do i need to do to move my DB over?
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> thank you in advance,
>
> john

The steps you've outlined should work *IF* you have a different Windows registry on both HDs. That should be the case if you really mean that you booted from the new HD to run imp. Lots of environment parameters are stored in the registry (HKLM\Software\Oracle\HomeN, where N is a home number). The old HD will have 8i stuff and the new HD will have 9i stuff. If you have another HD and installed Oracle there, however, then you'll have multiple Oracle homes (but you said the new HD was a "replacement" HD, so I don't think this is your problem). Received on Thu Jan 02 2003 - 15:01:35 CST