Re: Problems Stopping and Starting Enterprise Manager

From: Michael Howitz <mhowitz_at_firemail.de>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 14:50:38 +0100

DominiqS wrote:
> All,
> I am writing a backup script for backing up our Oracle Management Server
> database which runs on Solaris 7.0.The back script does an export of the
> database before shutting down the Oracle Management Server and the Oracle
> database as well.
>
> But when I try to stop or start the Oracle Mangement Server (as part of the
> script) I get the following errors .
> I invoke the OMS using the command
>
> /opt/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0/bin/oemctl stop oms OR
> /opt/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0/bin/oemctl start oms
>
> and i get the following errors
>
> OEMCTL for Solaris: Version 9.2.0.1.0 Production
> Copyright (c) 1998, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
> Stopping the Oracle Management Server...
> java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using ':0.0' as
> the value of the DISPLAY variable.
> at sun.awt.motif.MToolkit.<init>(MToolkit.java:43)
> at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:399)
> at java.awt.Window.getToolkit(Window.java:232)
> at java.awt.Frame.addNotify(Frame.java:203)
> at java.awt.Window.pack(Window.java:124)
> at oracle.sysman.vxa.VxaLoginDialog.<init>(VxaLoginDialog.java:205)
> at oracle.sysman.vxa.VxaOMSShutdown.main(VxaOMSShutdown.java:115)

It seems that you run oemctl as a different user the the one who owns the windowmanager-session. so you have to allow this other user to show his windows on your screen.

try on a commandline of the owner of the windowmanager-session:   xhost +
and before starting oemctl do
  export DISPLAY=<name_of_your_host>:0.0

(replace <name_of_your_host> by the name of your host (computer))

--
hth, mac

real email-adress: mac clondiag com