Re: Oracle certification question

From: <dev_at_null>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 14:46:23 +1100

On Fri, 27 Dec 2002 14:27:05 -0500, "BK" <benjaminkao_at_sympatico.ca> wrote:

> HI
> What is the best way to get Oracle certification by myself? I can see that
> at Chapters they sell set of books/CD for a few hundreds dollars. Some
> people will pay thousands to a 30 week course.

I use the Sybex set and they are pretty good at preparing for the exams. Note, these are not perfect. Some of the example questions are badly formed or give the wrong answers. However, they are getting me through OK. I'd say a must would be to run Oracle on your own kit so that you can actually demo some of the concepts.

Horses for courses (pun intended) but I don't see the added value of formal training when I can do it in my own time from books.

> I understand that there are 5 exams to be written and they are all multiple
> choices.

Correct.

> How does Oracle certification helps with job hunting? Please share your
> precious experiences.

Hunting, as opposed to getting? Some posted job descriptions have OCP as a requirement (whether mandatory or desirable). Many do not.

As to job getting, you'll find a lot of (sometimes strong) opinions here. Locality seems to be a factor. Formal qualifications are pretty much mandatory in Asia - us white folks don't get landing rights without a degree! In Australia, this seems to be a trend, too. In the UK, and probably Eurpoe too, (when contracting), the only thing that's important is how well you did your last couple of jobs. Dunno about the Americas and I suspect that Africa is similar to Asia.

Despite what others may say, the OCP can't hurt. It has limited value but value none the less. As far as preparing you for the job, it is a good starting point, no more. You need to tinker about with as many systems as you can get your hands on (Hey, why is everyone changing their server room access codes?), talk to DBAs, lurk here and get googling.

> Thanks in advance

IMHFO, of course.

Steve Roach Received on Fri Dec 27 2002 - 21:46:23 CST