Re: TNS Resolve SERVICE_NAME

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 00:02:48 +0100

On Fri, 27 Dec 2002 22:13:46 GMT, "Randy Harris" <randy.harris_at_nospam.net> wrote:

>Would someone kindly explain how an 8i client resolves the SERVICE_NAME in
>the connect descriptor? I have multiple client systems that get this error
>message:
>
>ORA-12514: TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect
>descriptor
>
>when attempting to connect to an 8.1.7 database. If I change the connect
>descriptor in tnsnames.ora from SERVICE_NAME = to SID =, then they will
>connect. What do I have wrong?

connect to the instance using this setting, type show parameter service_name

(or select * from v$parameter where name = 'service_name') and compare the result with the service_name string in tnsnames.ora According to the error message, they aren't equal

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Dec 27 2002 - 17:02:48 CST