Re: kill sessions...

From: Ed Prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 22:50:33 GMT

DA Morgan wrote:

> Matthias Rogel wrote:
>
> > DA Morgan wrote:

> > > There are three ways to kill a session. As you have not given any
> > > information with respect to operating system, Oracle version, etc. I am
> > > loathe to help you. But here goes.
> > >
> > > 1. UNIX only ... kill -9 on the session
> > >

> > hi DA,
> >
> > question:
> > are you sure you have to use -9 ?
> > what about -1 ?
> >
> > Matthias

[]

> Some of the time -1 will work. All of the time -9 will work.
>
> When you need to kill something ... why not use the high caliber ammunition?
>
> Daniel Morgan

but why use a cannon to kill a black bird?

I often strongly suggest using s couple other different signals before resorting to the "kill with no remorse" -9 signal. I suggest using (in basically this order):

 -1
 -2
 -3

-15
 -9

Going straight to -9 is a bad habit to get into. (I think this is the first time I ever disagreed with something Daniel said.)

   Ed

--
Ed Prochak
Magic Interface, Ltd.