Re: dbmf_output.put_line question

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 18:31:04 GMT

"Ubiquitous" <weberm_at_polaris.net> wrote in message news:au7j6s$4fm$1_at_news.utelfla.com...
> I am encountering a really weird problem and wonder if someone
> can suggest what might be causing it...
>
> I created some stored procedures and scripts in PL/SQL which
> use dbmf_output.put_line to display messages when they are run.
> The scripts and prcos both use dbmf_output.enable and are invoked
> in a UNIX shell script which pipes the output to a log file
> which is then emailed to the analyst and DBA as a daily report
> on that night's run of the job.
>
> I ran and tested the job in a TEST instance to my satisfaction
> (it runs with the put_line messages just fine), but when I copied
> the scripts to our PROD instance (only making changes so it reads
> the correct tables) and ran it, the display statemnets no longer
> appear. Even more puzzling is that if I run the scripts in a SQL*PLUS
> session on both instances, the display statemnets are produced!
>
> I am going to assume there is something different about the way the
> two instances are configured but have no clue as to what it could
> be. Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thank you!

A couple of thoughts -

Do you have a global/local login.sql file on PROD that has 'set serveroutput off'? If you have either/both of these "setup" files on PROD, look for other 'set' commands that are different than TEST. What 'set' commands do you have in your script?

Are there O/S differences between TEST and PROD that would prevent you from writing to the chosen directory? Are they cron jobs? If yes, does the crontab owner have the same Oracle privileges?

You said they work correctly in sqlplus. What tool are you running them under when it doesn't work (I assume you embed a sqlplus command in your shell script)? Received on Mon Dec 23 2002 - 12:31:04 CST