Re: Brute Force Quickie Developer needs minor assistance finding code tool . . .

From: Ron Reidy <rereidy_at_indra.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 06:09:13 -0700

Syster wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to Oracle. I've been programming various client and web
> based utilities for MS SQL for years, now we have an Oracle server and
> I can't proceed in the same fashion of brute force coding that I used
> to do.
>
> The hospital I work for buys turnkey solutions, and I work on the
> "workarounds". For MS SQL, I use trace to find any information
> regarding how the client software accesses the database. I use that
> information to build my add-on utilities, report and query tools.
>
> My next project is to build a automatic faxing system for our
> laboratory database. I built the last one for our MS SQL lab system,
> but we've since upgraded to Oracle. It some version 7 Unix server
> that I'm not very familiar with.
>
> Here's the problem. I need a tool that will trace the sql statements
> that pass from the client to the server, similar to SQL Trace for MS
> SQL. I need to be able to filter what gets traced, say by IP Address
> or perhaps the workstation name etc.

You can use the 'set events' command to trace a specific session. This command will capture all SQL (among other things) for the session and store them in a .trc file located in the directory specified in the init file by the user_dump_destination parameter. After this file is created, use tkprof to format it (all this is in the docs).