Re: pl/sql code maintenance

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 09:02:37 -0800

tony wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 08:03:31 -0500, "Jeff Smith" <jsmit234_at_ford.com>
> wrote:
>
> >You have an accident waiting to happen.
> >
> >Code should be maintained OUTSIDE of the database using a version control
> >software.
> >

> >"tony" <meinhfxGARBAGE_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> My question has to do with
> >> how best to maintain code in all areas where there are several
> >> developers / support people all working in each area. Since we can
> >> retrieve the source from the databases it seems to me that there is
> >> really no need to keep a current version of source thereby avoiding
> >> the situation where developer a moves source from test to prod but
> >> forgets to compile then developer b takes the source from prod back to
> >> test to work on a bug.
>
> Thanks for all the replys. Perhaps I worded the question poorly
> though because I don't think anyone really addressed it! We do have a
> promotion procedure. We do have fully backed up version control.
> What I'm asking is should we extract the source from the database
> rather than assume that the apparent, current version is in fact what
> was last compiled? Is the ability to
>
> select text
> from sys.dba_source
> where name = 'PLSQLCODE'
> and type = 'PACKAGE BODY'
> order by line;
>
> not something we should be using to ensure we're working with the
> correct version?
>
> tony

If you have change management and version control systems: Absolutely not!

If there is a need to do so ... then one or both of the above is not functioning properly. And I don't mean the software ... I mean the development team and its management.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Dec 20 2002 - 11:02:37 CST