Re: pl/sql code maintenance

From: tony <meinhfxGARBAGE_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 14:10:13 GMT

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 08:03:31 -0500, "Jeff Smith" <jsmit234_at_ford.com> wrote:

>You have an accident waiting to happen.
>
>Code should be maintained OUTSIDE of the database using a version control
>software.
>

>"tony" <meinhfxGARBAGE_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> My question has to do with
>> how best to maintain code in all areas where there are several
>> developers / support people all working in each area. Since we can
>> retrieve the source from the databases it seems to me that there is
>> really no need to keep a current version of source thereby avoiding
>> the situation where developer a moves source from test to prod but
>> forgets to compile then developer b takes the source from prod back to
>> test to work on a bug.

Thanks for all the replys. Perhaps I worded the question poorly though because I don't think anyone really addressed it! We do have a promotion procedure. We do have fully backed up version control. What I'm asking is should we extract the source from the database rather than assume that the apparent, current version is in fact what was last compiled? Is the ability to

select text
from sys.dba_source
where name = 'PLSQLCODE'
and type = 'PACKAGE BODY'
order by line;

not something we should be using to ensure we're working with the correct version?

tony Received on Fri Dec 20 2002 - 08:10:13 CST