timezones, ui, user-friendly selection

From: Oleg Paraschenko <usenet_at_sein.sportwetten.spb.ru>
Date: 20 Dec 2002 01:43:22 -0800

Hello,

I'm implementing a multiuser system. Each user can select its timezone. GMT offsets are not appropriate due to daylight changes. So each users will be associated with some Oracle timezone (V$TIMEZONE_NAMES%TZABBREV). Problem is that data from V$TIMEZONE_NAMES is not user-friendly. For example, for "US/Pacific" Oracle suggests next abbreviations: "LMT", "PST", "PWT", "PDT". Which one user should select?

I like to have a table:
+ name of timezone (unique)
+ comments and additional information, if required
+ Oracle timezone abbreviation

Any suggestions where I can get this information? Or how to make this table (currently I plan to use Linux timezone tables)?

Regards, Oleg Received on Fri Dec 20 2002 - 03:43:22 CST