Re: pl/sql code maintenance

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 02:21:35 GMT

Tim and Daniel are 100% correct. Use a version control system for ALL code. Version control systems, even simple ones, allow developers easy access to the code and its history (changes over time). If you are relying on some current version how do you find the reason for regressions (it worked last week?). A simple diff of two versions can show you what changed and allow you to fix it usually very quickly.

We have 2 development environments, a test, a production and a hot fix. (1 dev environment is for testing migration from other systems and related changes) All code moves from development, to test, to production after the proper incantations. Once it is made it into production production is cloned to the hotfix environment. The hotfix environment is just like production except for those rare occaisions when something is badly broken in production and we need to test a fix. ( when very fast turn around for a fix is needed.) We do it to hotfix and once it passes muster the change is applied to production.

True a lot of the time we don't need to diff files in version control, but gosh when you do it is a lifesaver.

I wouldn't operate without version control on a project. Jim