Re: pl/sql code maintenance

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:47:08 -0800

tony wrote:

> We have what is probably a typical development, test & production
> set-up, ie., a separate box and database for dev, one box for both
> test & prod each with separate databases. My question has to do with
> how best to maintain code in all areas where there are several
> developers / support people all working in each area. Since we can
> retrieve the source from the databases it seems to me that there is
> really no need to keep a current version of source thereby avoiding
> the situation where developer a moves source from test to prod but
> forgets to compile then developer b takes the source from prod back to
> test to work on a bug. Pretty fundamental stuff, but how do you
> handle pl/sql code?
>
> thanks

I think you are daring Murphy's Law.

You should never rely on the code in a database to be your source of back-up source code.

And developers should never move code anywhere.

I would urge you to create a real change management process and designate a single person, with a back-up, to be responsible for keeping a repository with all source code, all source code versioning, and moving all code from dev to test to prod.

Anything less is begging for problems to knock on your door: And they will.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Dec 19 2002 - 13:47:08 CST