PL/SQL Split function to recognize UTF8 multi-octets

From: Ed Kulis <ekulis_at_apple.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:31:57 -0800

Hi,

I'm writing some functions that will illustrate the coding and characters of UTF8 dump strings, and ISO8859-1 codesets.

I'd like to be able to parse a structure like this.

10, 13, 238.161.191, 194.191,112, 101, 114, 108

where the comma separated elements represent the UTF8 codes which contain periods if the code is multi-octet. This structure will allow me to specify character transformations on the codes from the dump function.

I'll also need to recognize the non-delimited multi-octets from the dump function

10, 13, 238, 161, 191, 194, 191, 112, 101, 114, 108

I can hack this up with INSTR and other character functions.

But is there a clever way or function some where that will do this for me?

This is easy in perl with a split function but this task is exclusively in the realm of PL/SQL packages.

Here's a dream, is there a perl2plsql converter?

-ed Received on Wed Dec 18 2002 - 11:31:57 CST