Re: Granule size on windows 2000

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 22:04:50 +1000

Hi Niall,

Note 148495.1 in metalink says:

"In this new model, a new unit of allocation is created called the 'Granule'. A granule is a unit of contiguous virtual memory allocation. The size of a granule depends on the estimated total SGA size, whose calculation is based on the value of the parameter SGA_MAX_SIZE. This would be 4MB if the SGA size is less than 128MB, otherwise it will be 16MB." Whether or not this is correct of course is a different matter. I played around with this before leaving Oracle and on Windows I came up with a 8MB rather than 16MB granule size.

Go figure...

Cheers

Richard