Re: Unevent usage of datafiles within on tablespace

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 08:59:24 -0000

"Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com> wrote in message news:3dff878c$0$245$cc9e4d1f_at_news.dial.pipex.com...
> I've got a nasty feeling that I've missed something bad here (Like file 25
> actually being created far later than file 4 in the above eg I'll double
> check later). anyway for what its worth my two theories were
<SNIP TEST>

Ah. file 4 created April 2002, file 25 created October 2002. So we have a much simpler scenario, Oracle allocates extents in a round robin fashion as expected/documented. This process takes no notice of free space within datafiles, so later created datafiles will be emptier than earlier dated ones. Sorry if this has consumed too much bandwidth, (and I now have to track down why the addition of the datafile in October wasn't documented).

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA