Re: tablepartitioning

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 23:21:53 GMT

Both Jusung and Sybrand are correct. You have to think about what partitioning does. One objective is that you can control different parts of a table - a partition - on different IO devices. Maybe you have one partition that is used heavily and the others are not. Might be a good idea to put the heavily used one on the device with the fastest IO and the others on slower IO (eg cD-rom) devices.

It depends. Think about what it does, experiement, benchmark. Jim