Re: XML problem on 8i

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 11:50:19 +1100

15 Dec 2002 12:03:04 +1100, Tim X said (and I quote):
> Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam> writes:
>
> > > BTW - I could throttle the geniuses at Oracle who decided to make xdkload a
> > > tcsh script. Our stripped down server was missing that shell. No big deal
> > > to add it, but why not script in a shell you know everyone has.
> > >

> Are you serious?

Er, no. Given that I didn't write that. You quoted a quote of a prior post.

> The script is in tcsh? I didn't think there was
> anyone on the planet who still writes scripts in tcsh - in fact, even
> back in the late 80's when I used tcsh as my login shell, it was well
> known to be a crappy shell for scripting!

You'd be surprised... There is nothing impossible in the world of lunix!

> Then again, I'm even
> serprised that Oracle still uses csh for some of their scripts rather
> than just sticking to Korn, Bourne/Bourne Again shells.

That has been a problem for longer than I care to remember. I guess it comes from most of their Unix stuff having been based on Sun hardware in the past and Sun's persistence with the Berkeley/csh stuff...

Why any1 in their right mind would nowadays make install scripts in anything other than ksh or bash is beyond me as well. But then again, it's (supposedly) as simple to fix as writing a comment line at the top of the script...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto