Re: Unlimted Extents = 505?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 13 Dec 2002 13:23:53 -0800

Rogbaker_at_gdi.net (Rogbaker) wrote in message news:<e40a12ea.0212130721.2b92351_at_posting.google.com>...
> I was truncating, then dropping because I understood that dropping can
> take too long in done alone because it generates redo/rollback.
> -Roger
>
> joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in message
> > What he means is, you don't have to both drop and truncate the table.
> > Dropping the table and not recreating it before the import means it
> > will be created by the import, using the settings of the exporting
> > instance, or in some cases, default settings.
> >
> > What you probably want to do if you can is pre-create the tables empty
> > before importing them, so you can be sure they are where and how you
> > want them to be. Once loaded, you truncate them before reloading so
> > as not to change the settings.
> >
> > You also want to have proper defaults on users and tablespaces, so you
> > don't wind up accidentally importing into the system tablespace or
> > with strange settings.
> >
> > Another gotcha is that you want the tables to be reasonably sized for
> > the data you are importing. If your originating table has had lots of
> > deleted records, you don't want to use the "compress=y" option on the
> > export and then have the export create the table, as all that deleted
> > space will migrate. If you don't have that issue, compress=y can be a
> > handy way to find out how big the tables will be.

> > jg

Just to check, but if the exported database object was in a locally managed tablespace with uniform extents and was imported into a dictionary managed tablespace you can get a maxextents error on the imp. In this case truncating the new object copy, altering its storage setting, and re-importing with ignore=y would be one way to bypass the problem. In fact if this is the case then it may be advisable to import all the tables without data, indexes, or constraints, alter the storage, and then import the data, indexes, and constraints.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Dec 13 2002 - 15:23:53 CST