Re: Exec in Oracle

From: damorgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:14:38 GMT

Harpreet Singh wrote:

> Hi
> For learning Oracle I am porting my SQL server code to Oracle. In SQL
> server if a variable has an DML stmt in it and if we want to execute that
> the syntax is
>
> set @Str = "Select * from abc"
> exec (@str)
>
> How do we do this in Oracle.
>
> --Harpreet
>
> --
> "Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life."

I teach Oracle at the University of Washington and because we are in Seattle, just a short drive to the Microsoft campus most of my students have background in SQL Server. My advice. Forget a port. And forget how things are done in SQL Server. Oracle's underlying architecture is completely, radically, different. And the better you know Oracle the more that will become apparent.

Jim Kennedy's advice is good. To which I will add that you should purchase a copy of Tom Kyte's book Expert one-on-one Oracle and read it ... especially the first three chapters.

Until you understand multiversioning, reads not blocking writes, writes not blocking reads, and the issues related to temp tables, and the locking and transaction models I would not write another line of code.

Also ... familiarize yourself with http://tahiti.oracle.com.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Dec 11 2002 - 12:14:38 CST