OCI prefetch: which way is better?

From: music4 <cli4_at_lucent.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:10:42 +0800

Greetings,

When we do a select operation, we can set OCI_ATTR_PREFETCH_ROWS to minimize server round trips. There are two ways to implement that as following:

  1. Do a "select count(*) where ..." first to get actual row numbers, and use this number to set prefetch rows.
  2. Just use very big number for example 100000 (sometime it will be still less then actual row number) to set prefetch row.

Which way is better? I am wondering your idea.

Thanks in advance!
Evan Received on Tue Dec 10 2002 - 02:10:42 CST