Oracle COM technology: too good or too bad?

From: FC <flavio_at_tin.it>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 22:13:49 GMT

Folks,
I was just wondering why I found only a bunch of messages regarding this topic in Oracle's newsgroups.

Has anyone undertaken a serious project involving COM automation and Oracle? I need to investigate the viability of this technology in combination with MS-Excel, in order to produce some fancy reporting graphics at minimal cost. A minimal configuration with Oracle 9i database + Internet Developer + App. Server would cost 10 times (with extra licenses that are completely useless in my case) what is in the budget, so, assuming to keep the DB only, I'd publish the result using static pages obtained converting Excel charts into HTML (VML).
So, in view of this architecture, I need a working COM environment. I made a few tests today, managed to create some Excel test files, but I still need to perform a lot of work for adding more functionalities to the ORDExcel sample package provided by Oracle.

Has someone out there pursued this goal already? Thanks,
Flavio Received on Mon Dec 09 2002 - 16:13:49 CST