Re: Oracle vs. DB2

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 18:10:27 GMT

Jesse wrote:
> I'm part of a team making a decision between these two platforms.
> We're building an application using the J2EE standards and from what
> I've researched thus far Oracle seems to be a much more mature
> platform in this type of environment. Others are telling me it really
> doesn't matter and that DB2 on an AS/400 or Unix will work just as
> well. Just looking for some opinions on this or if someone can point
> me in the right direction to gain some additional information.
>
> thanks,
>
> -Jesse

That's one of the nice things about client-server or web-based applications. You can connect to pretty much any backend database (with the usual caveats). So from an application point of view, it really doesn't matter.

However, for that poor soul who has to maintain the backend (ie, the database), it makes a very big difference. You could go on forever comparing the feature list of DB2 and Oracle ... or performing benchmarks till the cows come home. There is no clear answer. I happen to like Oracle better than DB2 because IBM is a slow, lumbering giant that takes forever to implement anything new (everything has to pass thru bureaucratic loopholes); Oracle is lean and hungry (and sometimes is a bit too fast to implement whatever the latest technology is). But I'd rather have a shot at the newer stuff while it's still new. Both Oracle and DB2 were "born" about the same time ... so both are mature products. Received on Wed Dec 04 2002 - 12:10:27 CST