Re: Making a little java server under oracle

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 3 Dec 2002 11:27:15 -0800

> I agree 100%
>
> I have also noticed this and have seen Java procedures being
> created/used which almost exactly replicate already existing
> functionality provided by PL/SQL.
>
> In fact, recently we adopted the policy whereby you have to get your
> supervisor/team leaders approval to create a java stored proc in an
> attempt to encourage finding PL/SQL solutions first.
>
> I think a possible reason for people over-using Java is just
> familiarity - many of the new developers we get are
> familiar/experienced with Java (which they often picked up while at
> uni), but very few have any PL/SQL experience (referring to entry
> level positions here).
>
> Add to this the NDH problem (Not Developed Here) where you often get
> developers wanting to write everything themselves rather than
> utilizing already existing solutions/packages etc and suddenly you
> have all these java procedures which really replicate existing
> procedures or packages or which could just as easily (often more
> easily) have been done with PL/SQL.
>
> Tim

Good assessment Tim.

What I have seen in my experience is that more and more new programmers coming out of colleges put a lot of emphasis in writing a piece of complicated code in Java, C++ etc and think they have learnt it "all".

What I usually tell these programmers is that "any programmer" can write a piece of code given a compiler, good online help or "Learn blah blah in 21 days". Java, C++ are nothing but tools to do a certain thing. Given numerous 4GL tools out there, the most important thing is to learn the technology, keep it simple and use the "right" tool for the "right" job.

With JVM in Oracle, there is a widespread notion to either convert everything PLSQL to java or write everything in java without understanding the remifications. To most parts this is done by ambitious Project/IT Managers who also like to add Java on their resume's. Programmers go along with it for the same reasons... I have seen this a lot.

The downside to all this is that the new programmers gain experience putting more and more emphasis on learning and using a certain tool rather then learning the core technology and programming discipline to "always" keep it simple and efficient and using the right tool.

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Tue Dec 03 2002 - 13:27:15 CST