Re: ora 03127 error from VB application during UPDATE....

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 12:10:54 +0200

Njal wrote:

> Hi..i am developing a VB application as a front end for an Oracle 9i
> database.

Not actually the right forum for your answer... do not recall seeing many VB programmer postings here.

> using the ADODB RECORDSET UPDATE function. But it always prompts me
> the error of first
> (this error actually points to the RECORDSET.update statement)
>
> runtime error '-2147467259'(80004005)
> [Oracle][odbc]Function sequence error.

This is not an Oracle error. We need an ORA error number for that.

It looks more like an ODBC driver issue.

> then again when i go to debug and try running it again it gives me
> this oracle error
>
> runtime error '-2147467259'(80004005)
> [Oracle][odbc][ora]ORA-03127: no new operation allowed until the
> active operation ends.

Now this is an Oracle error. The reason for it :

03127, 00000, "no new operations allowed until the active operation ends"

// *Cause: An attempt was made to execute a new operation before the active
//         non-blocking operation completed or a new operation was attempted
//         before all the pieces of a column were inserted or fetched.
// *Action: Execute the new operation after the non-blocking operation
//          completes. If piecewise binds/defines were done, execute the new
//          operation after all the pieces have been inserted or fetched.

This again points to a problem with VB, the debugger or the ODBC driver - one of these is somewhere along the way abusing a statement handle that is still busy, by using it for another SQL function and not waiting for it to complete.

> I am perplexed about this error.

You are? When you're using VB? And ODBC? You shouldn't be. Seriously.

> I have tried updating by using a different connection and recordset
> for updation but even that doesn't help.

Changing statement handles is not likely to solve the problem methinks.

> I am actually reading an image from a file and then...updating the
> recordset with that image(.BMP)

Which should be very easy to do.

> Please help me in this regard,

Use Delphi. There is a lot to say about using a robust development environment, implementing a proper OO, and which has some solid and well designed classes. :-)

--
Billy