Import from compressed dump failing because of long columns

From: James Keane <jim_keane_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Dec 2002 10:46:24 -0800

I am trying to restore from backup after a severe database disk crash, but am failing on the largest table (& most important, of course) in the backup. The error is

IMP-00020: long column too large for column buffer size (100)

Per the newsgroups I have already upped the buffer size and record size, but to no avail. I cannot go back and create another backup as the old database is now toast.

This backup was created using a "pipe" through gzip. I am using the reverse to import it, and have been able to partial restores before, but never full restores.

The syntax I'm using to import this table is :

 mknod PIPE.dmp p
 gunzip -c < PRD2ORA_11242002.dmp.gz > PIPE.dmp &  imp userid=system/manager TABLES=(DM_LU_SITEMAP_T) BUFFER=1024000 RECORDLENGTH=64000 file=PIPE.dmp log=PIPE.log

FYI, the original full backup was created using the syntax:

 gzip < PIPE.dmp > PRD2ORA_$DUMP_DATE.dmp.gz &  exp userid=system/manager direct=y full=y feedback=10000 file=PIPE.dmp

As this is a production database we are in quite a bind here. Anything you can suggest would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
James Received on Mon Dec 02 2002 - 12:46:24 CST