Re: Problem with oracle (dbassist, ...)

From: Tim Cross <tcross_at_pobox.une.edu.au>
Date: 02 Dec 2002 10:11:11 +1100

"lomba" <news_at_pressemicro.net> writes:

> Hi !
>
> I've just installed Oracle 8.1.7 on my Debian 3.0 and, after one week of
> attempts, it works ;-)
> But i've a problem because I can't user dbassist, netasst, ... : the program
> start, jre is in the list of process but nothing happened !
> I've installed blackdown jre 1.18 for glibc in /usr/local/jre1.18 and made a
> link between /usr/local/java and /usr/local/jre1.18. I think i've set all
> the env variables. And those wizards don't want to start :-(
> I've read a lot of documentation but nobody speak about this problem and how
> to solve it.
> Please help me ! :)

You don't get anything at all? No output to the terminal showing error messages or anything at all? Very strange. I assume you must have got the installer to work - can you still run that?

Here are a few things to check -

  1. Make sure your LANG environment is set to 'C' - there seems to be some problems with other language environments.
  2. From memory, the documentation actually recommends the IBM jdk/jre doesn't it? Maybe try that rather than the blackdown version?
  3. I assume you are trying to run the programs as Oracle - logged into oracle via a X session?
  4. Make sure you try to execute the programs from within an xterm rather than from a menu or icon/launcher - this way you should see any error messages printed to the xterm - don't use & to put it in the background at this point.
  5. What window manager are you using?

I guess you realize Debian is not a support platform for Oracle 8i? It can be done, but you won't get any support. I've done it and it worked fine for me - but it was more just for experimentation - don't know if it would hold up for a production environment.

Tim Received on Sun Dec 01 2002 - 17:11:11 CST