Re: Connecting to a remote database with SQL*Plus

From: Steve Mazerski <smazerski_at_yahoo.co.jp>
Date: 30 Nov 2002 08:59:50 -0800

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<uuh5ij2kg8ngb8_at_corp.supernews.com>...
> "Steve Mazerski" <smazerski_at_yahoo.co.jp> wrote in message
> > but SQL*PLUS says
> >
> > ERROR:
> > ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
> >
> > which doesn't surprise me, but I can't find how to provide the
> > information about which server the database is on. I tried
> >
> > sqlplus user/password_at_remote.server
> >
> > but got
> >
> > ERROR:
> > ORA-12514: TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect
> > descriptor
> >
> > I would just ssh to the server and use SQL*PLUS there, but something in
> > my local setup (NOT an Oracle problem) means the backspace key doesn't
> > work in SQL*PLUS when I do that. (Mind you, took me a while to remember
> > SQL*PLUS does actually support character deletion. <rant>I live in the
> > hope that one day it will support advanced features such as being able
> > to move the cursor back and forth on the current line, though that
> > will be the day Oracle releases middleware for the porcine aviation
> > industry
> > </rant>. Disclaimer: Yes, I do know knowing SQL*PLUS is a Good Thing and
> > I am a CLI type person; vi is my editor of choice.).
> >
> > Oh yes, workstation and server are both Linux, if that plays a role.
> >

> > Steve Mazerski
>

> You didn't configure net8 using the net8 assistant on the client, so the
> service name you specified couldn't be found in your local tnsnames.ora
> (usually in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin)

Aha, that sound like it could be the problem. (Plays around a little). Ah, it was. Thanks.

I don't suppose there's any way I can impart the same information directly to SQL*PLUS without editing tnsnames.ora? I ask because I am used to open source databases where I can tell it directly what host/port to connect to using command line flags.

Unfortunately - and this was the reason for my original question - I was unable to find out for definite whether I had to have some Oracle service running on my workstation, the literature I have left me very unclear on that point. So I thought I'd ask before chasing after the wrong problem.

> Thousands of people have been able to live with sql*plus.
> It strikes me that those people who rather point and shoot, should better
> spend their energy reading installation manuals (or manuals at all) instead
> of ranting against sql*plus. Sql*plus *works*, getting to know Oracle
> without reading manuals will *never work*, and it bores the small lot here
> responding to questions like this one.

Uuups, touched a raw nerve there, my apologies for trolling. I think it's about time for people like me to create a new group like comp.databases.oracle.sqlplus.rants ;-)

For the record - speaking as a person who believes no operating system or major application should need a click-and-point windowing system to function - I believe SQL*PLUS is a very find tool and wouldn't want to live without it.

But (and this is the last I shall ever say on the subject here) I still find it difficult to get my head around the fact that a US$ 10 billion dollar corporation can't see its way to providing basic command line features I remember fondly from CP/M and MS-DOS 3.3.

> You do know about stty erase ^H, do you, or are you a Unix newbie also?

Yup, tried every trick in the book. But as I said, _that_ problem is due to my local setup and manifests itself occasionally with other apps. I just found it amusing that, as a very occasional SQL*PLUS user it didn't seem strange that even delete didn't work ;-).

Thanks

S.Mazerski Received on Sat Nov 30 2002 - 10:59:50 CST