Re: Configuring properties for SQL plus

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 28 Nov 2002 20:15:29 -0600

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, ReplyToGroup_at_thanks.com wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Can anyone tell me what you need to do to make the changes that you
> might make to SQL plus permenant.
>
> For example, I always fing the linesize to small and always need to at
> least double it. Is there anyway that I can configure it to do this
> all the time as I'm sick of doing it each and every time.

login.sql will solve your issue.

> The other more basic thing is, does anyone have any recomendations for
> something that does the same sort of job as SQL plus but is better.

Emacs and sql-mode.

> I really hate SQL+. I dont get why oracle are still shipping that
> thing. It looks like it hasnt been changed in 15 years. (For example,
> why cant you move the cursor back along the line if you make a
> mistake. Instead it forces you to delete the entire line up to your
> mistake. What on earth is that about!)

sqlplus has a limited user interface, but it works on all platforms and has lots of helpful commands. You need to figure out how to edit the things that are sent to sqlplus efficiently. But, you also need to rethink your dislike of sqlplus. It is still the most dependable tool out there.

> Anyway, I really need an open source solution.

Emacs and sql-mode.

--
Galen deForest Boyer