Re: Which transaction isolation level can prevent lost updates?

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 00:14:23 GMT

huetter_at_grz.at (Arno Huetter) wrote in

> Pablo,
>
> thanks for your reply, and yes, this was a very simplified version of
> my real transaction just for making the lost update prob
> understandable. Unfortunately I cannot simply invoke one update...

I was afraid of that ... would you be able to explain the issue of why you can issue the 'SELECT FOR UPDATE?' I don't understand why it cannot be invoked within the 'container' -- in my pea-like brain, I'm equating the container to be a unit of work, continuing down that line, mapping it to a database transaction.

Also, I'm wondering if the container can be passed sufficient data to do the entire transaction.

Thx!

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
http://www.hpdbe.com