REF CURSORs and/or PL/SQL records

From: Harry Boswell <hboswel1_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:25:43 -0600

I've written a set of stored procedures that fetch into a set of variables that are part of a PL/SQL record, which is then returned via a cursor. But the programmer developing the web front end is wanting it returned differently - I think what he's asking for is a REF CURSOR. Where I'm having trouble understanding is the variables in the PL/SQL record that aren't part of the query - i.e., I assign default values to some variables because they aren't contained in our tables, but I want to return a "complete" set of data, rather than just those data items we have.

If I understand REF CURSORs correctly, the calling app gets the format information about the returned data from the underlying Oracle table via the query. So how would I return format information about those items that I don't retrieve with the query (for instance, Legislative_District_Num is returned as a null; COuntryName is always "USA".

Thanks,
Harry Boswell Received on Tue Nov 26 2002 - 15:25:43 CST